…or at least, when things don’t go the way you expect them to.
Today’s episode is about patience. I received a piece of gear that I couldn’t get to connect to the interwebs, and Paul and I fiddled for hours with the Oppo Sonica DAC until we got files loaded from our hard drive. Now, the latter was not OPPO’s fault at all. Paul just has a complicated system at home. At my house, it integrated easily, and I’ve loved the sound. But we both agree there’s some breaking in to do.
When experimenting with new gear, in the quest for perfect sound…not everything is going to play together. So, this episode is about a bit of patience.
Gear Guide, Topics & Highlights:
- 03:03 – OPPO Sonica DAC
- 03:17 – Anthem MRX 1120
- 03:42 – Roon software
- 04:21 – Audirvana
- 04:46 – TIDAL
- 07:15 – Matt Rockwell and proprietary box
- 10:40 – Anthem MRX 1120
- 14:50 – Computer to DAC Connection, USB COAX Optical, jitter and timing issue, wifi and bluetooth connection
- 16:40 – Different types of home audio setups
- 18:40 – What you can do with the OPPO Sonica DAC
- 20:41 – Redbook (CD) quality vs. sound quality with DSD and PCM formats
- 23:00 – Ear Overlap and considerations for finding your reviewers and sound
- 29:10 – Why you need to break in your gear
- 31:10 – How to break in your gear
- 32:15 – Listener questions
- 35:10 – How to quiet a tile floor room, how to treat your room for audio
- 38:03 – The importance of speaker placement in room treatment.
- Power Tip: Google How to do a master set for more information
- 40:12 – How to find your setup for getting audio from a CD/DVD player and how to approach for synergy between your devices
- 43:14 – How to get TIDAL to play from your ONKYO system with the best results
- 46:11 – Check out our power tip for TIDAL and getting high-quality audio to stream to your offline device
- 50:30 – Stay tuned for more sweet setup tips in a future episode!